Product Design Lead
Do you want to make a difference to the lives of people who need joint replacement surgery? Come join us! You’ll be design hire #1 in a well-funded kiwi startup sitting on the cutting edge of AI in healthcare. Our business is in making surgeons’ lives easier and driving efficiencies in the orthopaedic industry with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
About the business
Formus Labs is developing groundbreaking software solutions to improve joint replacement surgery. Our cloud-based platform is a World-first in employing state-of-the-art biomechanics and AI to help surgeons create optimal surgical plans for each individual patient. Our technology has already empowered surgeons and global orthopedic companies to provide best-in-class joint-replacement surgery to hundreds of patients.
Spun out from the world-renowned Auckland Bioengineering Institute, we are a dynamic startup with a highly talented team from a diverse set of personal and professional backgrounds.
At Formus most of our staff are in Auckland but we are fundamentally a remote-first company. If you’re based outside of Auckland and you’re keen to work over Miro and Zoom then let’s talk!
About the role
As the Product Design Lead at Forums Labs, you will bring your proven track record in SaaS product design to help orthopaedic surgeons prepare for the individual quirks of each patient’s anatomy before their surgery.
We need a visionary designer to take a step back and imagine a product experience that supports the complex needs of orthopaedic surgeons as well as the other actors who are instrumental to the success of the surgery. This will come from fostering a deep understanding of our customers through generative and evaluative research. If you’ve got UX Research chops that’s a big bonus, but if you don’t then don’t worry, we’ve got some experience in the team to draw on as well.
As design hire #1 at a growing startup, the role would suit someone who has already mastered their craft and is looking to advance their career whilst not losing the day-to-day design work you love. This means you will wear all the design hats, from design visioning through UX research and interaction design, to participating as an equal partner with product and engineering in product discovery activities.
The role will involve:
- Creating, championing and communicating the design vision for Formus Labs
- Advocating for design thinking and bringing your expertise to establish design as a pillar of product at Formus Labs
- Planning and conducting generative and evaluative user research for a time-poor and highly technical customer base, while controlling for bias and optimising time with the customer.
- Leading the synthesis of qualitative research to extract key jobs to be done and identify opportunities
- Communicating insights broadly to all of the humans in our small but growing business, using for example problem statements, behavioural personas, jobs to be done, journey or experience mapping. We’ll be looking to you to determine what tools are the right ones to use.
- Actively engaging in cross-functional discovery activities to collaboratively find the best way to meet our agreed objectives
- Working with your product and engineering counterparts to quickly test concepts with users and synthesise findings to iteratively adapt our solution before we start building
- Producing final design artifacts and working closely with your engineering and product counterparts to deliver realistic software without compromising usability, aesthetics and still fundamentally addressing the job to be done.
Benefits and Perks
You will enjoy...
- Being part of a high-growth venture-backed start-up with international users and customers
- Competitive remuneration package with the possibility of incentives and share options.
- Generous private NZ health insurance
- Flexible working environment with a highly functional remote-work culture.
- Generous parental leave entitlements for both the primary and secondary caregiver.
- Collaborating with a team of talented individuals to make a real difference to patients’ lives.
Skills and Experience
You will have...
- At least 5 years experience in UX design working in an agile product team
- A desire to create an environment of design excellence from the ground up
- A solid foundation in design thinking, jobs to be done, and other design frameworks which you’ll advocate strongly for
- A history of solving complex problems with simple, elegant solutions.
- A design portfolio which shows your past UX/UI design experience and how you applied design thinking to influence the product experience
- A solid understanding of prototyping and user testing methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication and the ability to effectively communicate throughout the organisation.
- Experience conducting and synthesising user research is a bonus
- Experience with medical or health software, and/or experience with interactive 3D graphics would be a bonus
- A passion for software technology in the medical field
Your first 30 days
You’ll start by jumping into our training courses on orthopaedic surgery, including anatomy and basic surgical technique. It’s important you can speak the language of our customers, and it can be a wee bit daunting - but it’s super interesting and ultimately very rewarding.
Alongside this you’ll examine and evaluate the existing recorded generative interviews with surgeons and reflect on the insights we’ve found. Did we miss anything? Have we controlled for our biases?
You’ll work with the Product Lead and Head of Engineering to understand our product vision and strategy, and how our current quarter’s OKRs take us closer to our vision. You’ll have an incredible resource for learning everything about orthopaedic surgeons and surgery from our highly experienced AU Country Manager if you ever have any questions, and you’ll be charmed by our diverse and talented bunch of 13 (and growing) humans.
You might also like to get to know our product and perform a design audit - we expect you’ll find plenty of room for improvement!
At this stage you’ll have taken in a lot of information and everything will be swimming around in your head. That’s OK! But you’ll have a taste of what Formus is about, you will be forming a stance on what’s missing and how you can contribute. You will have seen first hand the tremendous impact you can make and you’ll be itching to make it.